Twitter is an online social networking service and microblogging service that enables its users to send and read text-based messages of up to 140 characters, known as “tweets” and is often described as ”the SMS of the Internet.”
It launched in March 2006 and since then has amassed a phenominal user base of 500 million (as of 2012). It is now considered one of the leading marketing channels with over 340 million tweets daily and handling over 1.6 billion search queries per day. Those are figures you cannot just ignore!
One of it’s draw is that it allows anyone with an account to contact anyone else on twitter, opening up endless opportunities to connect with partner, clients and investors. Check out one case of a twitter user landing $1M investment from Richard Branson http://sproutsocial.com/insights/2013/01/richard-branson-twitter/
So what’s the best way to leverage such a powerful platform marketing?
Let’s find out together in this series of ‘Twitter Marketing’
In this episode of Twitter Marketing we are going to look at the best approach to draw traffic into your website and how to monitor the results of your marketing efforts.
The subject of this test will be this website and this diary post in particular! So if you came from twitter then it’s a good sign that it’s working
1. Twittering Strategy
Trust and Relationship building is key in the Twitter world so those are the objectives that we’ll focus on. Below are top tips curated from a number of websites on how best to use Twitter for Marketing:
- Find associated hashtags to connect and be connected. To do this we’ll use the twitter search functionality and trending hash tags for this.
- Use relevant keywords to draw traffic. We’ll use keywords such as startup, twitter, marketing, business, tips, insight, strategy, approach…
- Have useful links to add value and spawn interest. We’ll link back to this website and this blog post in particular. We’ll also link to online articles that are useful in the context of Twitter Marketing.
- Focus on conveying quality information and curation, avoid the sales tactics! We’ll offer useful information, insight and links relating to Twitter Marketing but avoid the pushy tone of voice.
- Follow influencers and connectors and budding entrepreneurs. We’ll seek out key Twitter users via Twitter search and reading Twitter profiles. We’ll cast the net far and whilst avoiding spammers!
- Tweet at peak times. In the twitter world that seems to be working hours, particularly in the afternoon.
2. Manage and Monitoring Results
We’ll be using the below to manage our Twitter Marketing efforts and to monitor the results:
- Hootsuite is a powerful tool that is used by many businesses use to launch marketing campaigns, identify and grow audiences, and distribute targeted messages.
- Google Analytics can provide insight into usability and interest levels of people on the website
- Google URL builder can be used to track the Twitter Marketing campaigns
- Social Indicators. How many people have shared the article? This will give an insight into its perceived value.
- Subscribers. How many people have followed StartupDiaryOnline through a social network or email?
3. We’re Ready to Start!
Tonight will be the first tweet and it will point back to this article. It’s not peak period I know but it will bring some volumes through and will help iron out any niggly issues with the site and the analytics. From there on there will be two tweets per day, one in the morning and one in the evening, each tweet being tracked individually.
Follow or Subscribe (on the right) to get results as they come in!